The Mexican government has condemned unauthorised building work being carried out at the ancient city of Teotihuacán, near Mexico City.
The UN’s international council on monuments and sites (Icomos) said bulldozers threatened to raze as many as seven acres at the protected site.
Teotihuacán is a Unesco World Heritage Site and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country.
UN officials raised the alarm about building work at the site on Monday.
Icomos Mexico said the excavation work threatened “archaeological, housing and monumental remains which are also being looted” and called on the Mexican government to decisively intervene so that experts can get in to evaluate the damage.
Experts from the site say they began to raise the alarm earlier this year after construction began, including the use of heavy machinery, on the complex’s outskirts when supervision was limited because of the pandemic.